Creative Europe is the European Union’s programme to support the European audiovisual, cultural and creative sectors. The programme contributes to safeguard, develop and promote cultural and linguistic diversity across Europe by providing the sectors with opportunities to reach new audiences and operate internationally while fostering cross-border cooperation. Its initiatives are designed towards the development of the audiovisual, cultural and creative players’ skills to help them seize the opportunities of the digital age and globalization.
Launched in January 2014 with an initial funding of €1.46 billion, Creative Europe brings together a Culture sub-programme and a MEDIA sub-programme to substitute the former Culture, MEDIA and MEDIA Mundus Programmes (2007-2013).
Creative Europe’s Culture sub-programme aims to promote the cross-border circulation of works in the cultural sector, encourage cultural and creative organisations to work internationally and promote the mobility of cultural players. For this to happen the Culture sub-programme provides financial support and carries a series of initiatives, listed below:
- Cooperation Projects: this initiative moves forward the international cooperation across Europe and beyond. It is expected to improve access to European cultural and creative works, extend its audience reach and promote innovation and creativity in the field of culture.
- Literary translation: to increase the translation, promotion and readership of high quality European literature. More than 5.500 literary works are expected to be translated.
- European Networks: to promote the cultural and creative sector’s work on the national and international scene and facilitate its agents’ access to professional opportunities by providing them with innovative approaches and skills to interface with international counterparts in this new digital age.
- European Platforms: a Europe-wide programme aiming to showcase and increase the mobility of creators and artists, especially emerging talent, in the EU and provide visibility to Europe’s values and different cultures.
The MEDIA sub-programme of Creative Europe supports the EU film and audiovisual industries. It provides financial support in the development of European Union film and audiovisual industries aiming to:
- Strengthen the cross-border circulation, distribution, visibility, interest and access to European audiovisual work.
- Encourage and support the production of audiovisual work.
- Raise the number of EU co-productions and its diversification as well as stimulate the cooperation between European and international operators.
- Improve the competitiveness and capacity of film producers, especially to develop work with a high potential to circulate across European markets and beyond.
Different delegations (Creative Europe Desks) on the European region have been settled in in order to promote awareness and understanding of Creative Europe among its member countries which include EU Member States, European Free Trade Association countries and neighborhood countries.
Each delegation offers support and advice to cultural and creative organisations and professionals on its own country.